Office Christmas Party grossed $17.5 millions and became the most popular Christmas film ever launched in December of Hollywood.
According to Forbes, Office Christmas Party made a record because most of the American Christmas films before such as Home Alone, The Santa Clause, Elf, The Polar Express premiered in November. The prominent films about Chrismast holiday released in December in recent years like Krampus (2015) and A Madea Christmas (2013) – was not so popular as Office Christmas Party.
Office Chritsmas Party started when a CEO in a large corporation wanted to close the branch led by his younger brother. Immediately, the man along with his colleagues held a large Christmas party in the office to make an impression on potential customers and deal some businesses to save the branch. This film was labeled R because of containing language sexual language and images. In the film, Jennifer Aniston played the role of CEO – a hot – tempered sister. T.J. Miller played the role of the brother always being fond of parties.
However, Office Chritsmas Party only ranked the second in the list of ticket box on the weekend. Moana consecutively topped the chart with $18.8 millions. The animated Disney adventure film grossed about $145 millions inland. The film grossed $238.8 millions worldwide. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them stood in third place, with $10.8 millions. At the moment, this movie grossed $200 millions at the domestic box office.
The 10 most popular films in North America this past weekend:
- Moana – Buena Vista – $18,8 millions
- Office Christmas Party – Paramount – $17,5 millions
- Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them – Warner Bros. – $10,7 millions
- Arrival – Paramount – $5,6 millions
- Doctor Strange – Buena Vista – $4,6 millions
- Allied – Buena Vista – $4 millions
- Nocturnal Animals – Focus – $3,1 millions
- Manchester by the Sea – RAtt – $3,1 millions
- Trolls – Fox – $3,1 millions
- Hacksaw Ridge – Lionsgate – $2,3 millions